"If there is no struggle...there is no progress!" - Frederick Douglass
"Never put all your Political Eggs in One Basket!" - Honorable E. Leroy Owens, Jr.
The Harlem Republican Club: Harlem is historically the Urban-Cultural and Grassroots Capital of America. The Harlem Republican Club's foremost initiative is to positively exemplify Urban Grassroots Republicanism domestically. Due to the Club's location at: 309 West 136th Street, Ground Floor, New York, NY 10030 (see:"Contact Us" link) it is also the official Republican District Club for the 70th Assembly District, covering historic Central Harlem and parts of Manhattanville, Hamilton Heights, and Sugar Hill.
Greetings to All! Saludos a Todos! Great News is Coming from our Education Committee in the form of an elite, informative magazine!
Please take a moment to explore our web site and learn more about our organization. We hope to see you soon! Esperamos ver los pronto!
HRC's First Edition Magazine Cover
The Republican Party is the party that was built on the principles of equal rights, equal justice, and equal opportunity for all. The Republican Party has a distinguished history within and a close bond with the black community in America dating back for one and a half centuries. And despite being vastly outnumbered in party enrollment, Republicans similarly have a strong tradition in the Harlem community as well - a community that is becoming more diverse everyday.
The Harlem Republican Club, Inc. logo is an original creation, designed and "tailor-made" by the Education Committee to celebrate and symbolize a successful first year of the Club's grassroots "New Directions Program".
The symbols and meanings of the Logo are as follows:
- The elephant has been a symbol of the of the Republican Party of the United States ever since 1874, when "Harper's Weekly" published a cartoon of an elephant trampling on inflation and chaos. Thomas Nast (1840-1902) was the cartoonist. Political cartoons were a major form of commentary in the late 19th century of American life. (See "News Link").
- The elephant represents strength, longevity and wisdom.
- Our life-like elephant has its trunk up. This symbolizes, joy excitement and "good luck" which will not run out.
- The HRC elephant walks on green grass. The green symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility.
- The yellow sky is the color of sunshine and is associated with joy, happiness, intellect and energy.